MicroSkyshine® calculates the photon dose from sky scattered gamma ray radiation.
MicroSkyshine® has been used to evaluate conformance with 10CFR50, Appendix I ALARA requirements as well as 40CFR190 fuel cycle exposure criteria.
Typical application would be to determine scattering from BWR turbine buildings, radwaste storage facilities, and waste disposal sites.
MicroSkyshine’s® analytical method of solution is based on the use of “beam functions” for a point source. This method was developed for NUREG/CR-0781 (May 1979), which resulted from an NRC sponsored effort. However, MicroSkyshine® reflects the efforts of analysts at Kansas State University, who further improved the method.
MicroSkyshine’s® Technical Features:
- A variety of silo and wall geometries. MicroSkyshine® accepts dimensional data in meters, centimeters, feet, or inches.
- The scattering medium is air, and the Berger method is used for calculating buildup in an overhead shield. Any one of seven materials can be selected for this purpose.
- Library data for radionuclides, attenuation, and buildup are included.
- Source decay can be calculated and daughters generated.
- As many as twenty energy groups (with an energy range of 100 keV-10 MeV) may be created; total concentration entries are automatically converted to curies.
- All calculations performed by MicroSkyshine® assume that the silo wall or vertical wall is a perfect shield; that is, radiation through the walls will not be calculated.
- Point Source Behind A Wall
- Horizontal Line Source Behind A Wall
- Horizontal Rectangular Area Source Behind A Wall
- Horizontal Circular Area Source Behind A Wall
- Vertical Line Source Behind A Wall
- Vertical Rectangular Area Source Behind A Wall
- Vertical Circular Area Source Behind A Wall
- Rectangular Volume Source Behind A Wall
- Vertical Cylindrical Volume Source Behind A Wall
- Horizontal Cylindrical Source Behind A Wall
- Point Source In A Rectangular Enclosure
MicroSkyshine® Enhanced Software Features:
- Microsoft Windows® interface.
- Fully interactive input processing and input error checking.
- The main menu allows you to create, save, load, erase, and run many cases. You can change one data entry without having to pass through the entire input sequence.
- Batch Processing – Multiple cases can be run in Batch mode
- Sensivity Runs – Several parameters can be examines to determine the resulting dose rate.
- Results can be saved in text, HTML, Microsoft Word®, and Microsoft Excel® formats.
MicroSkyshine® v5 New Features:
MicroSkyshine® v5 includes
- Updated graphics for all geometries.
- The installation process has been enhanced and is now compatible with Microsoft® System Center Configuration Manager.
- A Check for Update feature has been added to allow the user to check for the latest update.
- Full Microsoft Windows® 10 compatibility.
- Added compatibility for the latest versions of Microsoft® Excel and Word
- Microsoft Windows® 10, 8/8.1, 7, Vista®, or XP®
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer® Version 7 and above
- Microsoft® .Net Framework Version 1.1 or later
- Microsoft Word® 2003 and Excel® 2003 or newer for saving results to these formats