MicroShield® is a comprehensive photon/gamma ray shielding and dose assessment program that is widely used for designing shields, estimating source strength from radiation measurements, minimizing exposure to people, and teaching shielding principles.
MicroShield® is useful to health physicists, waste managers, design engineers, and radiological engineers and only requires a basic knowledge of radiation and shielding principles.
MicroShield® is fully interactive and utilizes extensive input error checking. Integrated tools provide graphing of results, material and source file creation, source inference with decay (dose-to-Ci calculations accounting for decay and daughter buildup), projection of exposure rate versus time as a result of decay, access to material and nuclide data, and decay heat calculations.
MicroShield’s® Features Include:
- Full Microsoft Windows® 10 compatibility.
- Export results into Microsoft Word® and Excel®.
- French and German language software applications which utilize international numerical formats (decimal commas, etc.).
- Sixteen geometries that accommodate offset dose points and as many as ten standard shields plus source self-shielding and cylinder cladding.
- The geometry display for entry is re-scaled as dimensions are entered. Dimensional data are accepted in meters, centimeters, feet, or inches.
- Updated Library data (radionuclides, attenuation, buildup, and dose conversion) reflect standard data from ICRP 38 and 107 as well as ANSI/ANS standards and RSICC publications. Dose conversion factors include (ICRP) Publication 116 absorbed dose rates and dose conversion factors from ANSI/ANS-6.1.1-1977.
- Includes a wide variety of custom materials based on NIST, ANSI/ANS-6.4.2-2006, etc.
- Buildup and uncollided results are both automatically and simultaneously calculated.
- Provides the ability to design and save up to eight custom materials for any case to add to the twelve built-in materials.
- Sources may be created and saved and moved among cases, either as nuclides or energies, and as concentrations or totals. Several photon grouping methods are provided including custom (user defined).
- Source decay can be calculated with daughter products generated.
- As many as twenty-five energy groups (with an energy range of 15 keV to 10 MeV) may be used; input may be concentration or totals.
- Sensitivity of exposure rate to time, source dimension, shield thickness, or distance can be investigated. Integration conversion verification can be conducted with sensitivity to quadrature order.
- Decay heat/energy can be calculated.
Geometry – Source Configurations Include:
- Rectangular Area – Vertical
- Rectangular Area – Horizontal
- Cylinder Volume – Side Shields
- Cylinder Volume – End Shields
- Cylinder Surface – Internal Dose Point
- Cylinder Surface – External Dose Point
- Annular Cylinder – Internal Dose Point
- Annular Cylinder – External Dose Point
- Rectangular Volume
- Truncated Cone
- Infinite Plane
- Infinite Slab
MicroShield® v11 New Features:
MicroShield® v11 includes multi-shield buildup factor calculations as well as
- Inclusion of the Ambient Dose Equivalent and Directional Dose Equivalent factors from ICRP-74
- Microsoft Windows® 10 compatibility
- Improved buildup sensitivity features. A case can now be run using each shield as the buildup and summary table showing all results is provided in the main report.
- Enhanced nuclide import functional – import in units of Becquerels (Bq) or Curies (Ci)
- Ability to change and specify individual shield colors
- Additional custom material files from NIST standards
- Microsoft Windows® 10, 8/8.1, 7, Vista®, or XP®
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer® Version 7 and above
Download the MicroShield® Product Description here – requires