MicroShield® is a comprehensive photon/gamma ray shielding and dose assessment program that is widely used for designing shields, estimating source strength from radiation measurements, minimizing exposure to people, and teaching shielding principles.
MicroShield® is useful to health physicists, waste managers, design engineers, and radiological engineers and only requires a basic knowledge of radiation and shielding principles.
MicroShield® is fully interactive and utilizes extensive input error checking. Integrated tools provide graphing of results, material and source file creation, source inference with decay (dose-to-Ci calculations accounting for decay and daughter buildup), projection of exposure rate versus time as a result of decay, access to material and nuclide data, and decay heat calculations.
MicroShield’s® Features Include:
- Sixteen geometries that accommodate offset dose points and as many as ten standard shields plus source self-shielding and cylinder cladding.
- The geometry display for entry is re-scaled as dimensions are entered. Dimensional data are accepted in meters, centimeters, feet, or inches.
- Updated Library data (radionuclides, attenuation, buildup, and dose conversion) reflect standard data from ICRP 38 and 107 as well as ANSI/ANS standards and RSICC publications
- Dose conversion factors include ICRP Publication 116 absorbed dose rates and dose conversion factors from ANSI/ANS-6.1.1-1977.
- Includes a wide variety of custom materials based on NIST, ANSI/ANS-6.4.2-2006, etc.
- Buildup and uncollided results are both automatically and simultaneously calculated.
- Provides the ability to design and save up to eight custom materials for any case to add to the twelve built-in materials.
- Sources may be created and saved and moved among cases, either as nuclides or energies, and as concentrations or totals. Several photon grouping methods are provided including custom (user defined).
- Source decay can be calculated with daughter products generated.
- As many as twenty-five energy groups (with an energy range of 15 keV to 10 MeV) may be used; input may be concentration or totals.
- Sensitivity of exposure rate to time, source dimension, shield thickness, or distance can be investigated. Integration conversion verification can be conducted with sensitivity to quadrature order.
- Decay heat/energy can be calculated.
- Ability to utilize international numerical formats (decimal commas, etc.).
Geometry – Source Configurations Include:
- Rectangular Area – Vertical
- Rectangular Area – Horizontal
- Cylinder Volume – Side Shields
- Cylinder Volume – End Shields
- Cylinder Surface – Internal Dose Point
- Cylinder Surface – External Dose Point
- Annular Cylinder – Internal Dose Point
- Annular Cylinder – External Dose Point
- Rectangular Volume
- Truncated Cone
- Infinite Plane
- Infinite Slab
MicroShield® v12 New Features:
MicroShield® v12 includes multi-shield buildup factor calculations as well as
- Export results into the latest versions of Microsoft Word® and Excel®.
- Faster computational run-times.
- The installation process has been enhanced and is now compatible with Microsoft® System Center Configuration Manager.
- The installation process can also be performed silently.
- A Check for Update feature has been added to allow the user to check for the latest update.
- Full Microsoft Windows® 10 compatibility.
- Microsoft Windows® 10, 8/8.1, and 7
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer® Version 10 and above
Download the MicroShield® Product Description here – requires